Step by step

Menu
Take the confusion out of applying for a job with these 5 easy steps.
Finding a suitable job. Did you know that only 20% of jobs are actually advertised? And the other 80%. They are in the hidden job market. Read More...
Researching the position and the company. So that you can tailor your CV to match those requirements, focus your cover letter and help you with your interview. Read More...
Creating your CV. The purpose of the CV is to encourage the recruitor to call you for an interview. Your CV will be crucial in getting you that interview. Read More...
Writing your cover letter. A cover letter is not a summary of your CV. Its purpose is to get the recruitor to read through your CV. If your cover letter doesn't grab their attention, they may not even look at your CV. Read More...
Preparing for your interview. This is the final step to getting that job so be prepared! Read up on these common interview questions and these interview tips. Read More...


Creating your CV

Menu

What is a CV?

A Curriculum Vitae (CV) is a document (usually 1-2 pages) highlighting information about you pertinent to the job you are applying for. It helps employers to decide whether your experience and skills match what they are looking for in an employee. It is usually a doorway to an interview.

What is the purpose of a CV?

To convince an employer that you are worth interviewing.

What is an employer looking for in an employee?

Should a CV be the same for all jobs applied for?

No, your CV needs to be changed so that it is completely relevant to the job you are applying for. Your skills and experiences must match those required for the job.

How to begin writing a CV

First research the job and the position. You can find the information on the job listing. If the advert does not contain sufficient information, you can phone the employer to ask for more detail. Have specific questions prepared to ask them. Be brief and don't waste their time. They probably have many people to deal with.
For each job that you have chosen to apply to start with the following: Now , read all you can about the position and about the company. You can find the information online, at the library and in newspapers.

What information should be included in a CV?

Template of a CV

Both template formats contain a layout of a professional cv letter layout with comments.

Curriculum Vitae - Word format

Curriculum Vitae - PDF format

Back

Cover Letter

Menu

The aim of the cover letter

A cover letter is not just a summary of your CV. Some employers shortlist candidates directly from the cover letters. So the aim of a cover letter is to convince the employer to find out more about you, by reading your CV and calling you for an interview. A cover letter is your opportunity to let the employer know that you have the skills, qualifications and experience to do the job.

What is an employee looking for in your cover letter?

An employer looks for:

What to put in your cover letter:

  1. Your contact details
  2. Date
  3. Name and address of the contact person
  4. Salutation: Dear Mr/Ms last name, (e.g., Dear Mr Smith) or
    Dear Sir/Madam. (If you don't know their name)
  5. First paragraph: State why you are writing and give the reader a reason to read on. State which position you are applying for (giving a reference number if applicable), mention how you found out about the vacancy and briefly explain why you are interested in the position.
  6. Second paragraph: Show that you can do the job by matching your experience, skills and qualifications with what the employer has asked for.
  7. Third paragraph: Tell them why they would want you. Summarise your strengths and skills that they are looking for from the job description). Prove that you have these skills by explaining how you developed them.
  8. Fourth paragraph:Indicate that you would welcome the opportunity for an interview. Indicate if you are going to follow up with a call and when you will call. Mention any dates that you might not be available for an interview. Thank the employer for their consideration.
  9. Closing: Use sincerely if you have used the Employer's or
    name in the salutation or faithfully if you haven't put in a name.

Things to check:

Cover Letter Template:

Both template formats contain a layout of a professional cover letter layout with comments.

Cover Letter - Word format

Cover Letter - PDF format Back

Interview preparation

Menu

Prior Preparation

The aim of your cover letter and your CV is to get you to this final stage which is the interview. It is important to be well prepared. This will help you feel comfortable and relaxed during the interview, which will increase your confidence.

Research the Company

Read the Company's website or newspaper articles about the company. During the interview you should be able discuss relevant facts about the company. Very often, candidates know very little about the company they have applied to. This may lead the employer to feel that you are not serious about the job and you have not taken the time to research the company.

Prepare your answers to commonly asked interview questions

  1. Tell me about yourself.Briefly describe your qualification or ability. What job/studies/other you have been doing recently. What you would like to do next. Your answer should not be longer than one minute...
  2. What are your strengths?Describe two or three skills you have that are relevant to the job
  3. What is your greatest weakness?Focus on a weakness that will not indicate that you are a weak candidate for this position. You could mention a weakness that you have overcome.
  4. How do you handle stress and pressure?Use an example to illustrate
  5. Why are you leaving or have left your job? Don't be negative about the previous job or employer
  6. Why do you want to work for us?What's good about the company
  7. What do you know about our organization?Refer to your research notes on the company
  8. Why should we hire you? Relate your skills to the job description.
  9. Where do you see yourself in five years?Employers want to hire someone who will stay with them for a reasonable length of time.
  10. What questions do you have for me?Have questions ready. You can base your questions on your research of the company. Don't ask anything that you could have found out with a simple internet search.

Other common questions


On the interview day

Dress for the occupation
  • Have all your clothes ready the day before the interview.
  • Be certain all your clothes are clean, well ironed and shoes polished
  • Choose conservative clothing
  • Pay close attention to personal grooming on the day of your interview (hair, nails, teeth, breath, etc.)
  • Avoid excessive fragrances
  • Arrival

    Be Punctual
    Arrive at least 10-15 minutes before the interview. It shows you are organized, interested in the position and prompt. If for some reason you cannot make the interview or become delayed, call as soon as possible and explain the situation. Apologize to the interviewer and see if he/she is willing to reschedule.

    Be Friendly and Respectful
    Be friendly and respectful towards everyone you meet. Interviewers may ask receptionists and other employees their opinion based on their interactions with you.

    Interview Structure

    Greetings

    An interview usually begins with a few minutes of small talk. This is a good opportunity to establish a rapport with them and show that you are confident and at ease. Here are some tips:

    Your overall attitude should be positive and attentive. Good posture and presentation is essential to conveying confidence. Be aware of the impression you are giving through your body language.

    Back

    The company

    Menu

    Core company information

    Here are points that one should research about the Company:

    Recruitment information

    Find out:

    Company culture and general feelings

    You need to: Back

    Finding a job

    Menu
    Did you know that only about 20% of jobs are advertised? And the other 80%? Well, they are in the hidden job market! Jobs are not advertised, not because employers are keeping the jobs a secret , but most employers find it quicker and cheaper to fill positions without advertising. So how do you tap into the hidden job market ? By networking and cold calling potential employers. But don't forget those advertised jobs as well!
    Back

    Finding a job

    Menu
    Cold Calling is phoning a potential employer who doesn't know you and inquiring about a job. You can also cold call to:
    Sounds scary? With a little preparation and practice, it will get easier and you will stand a better chance of getting a job.
    Important steps before you call When making the Call After the call
    Back